Monday, November 8, 2010

Gratitude

Let me start off by saying that I truly love the experience that being a Chef has given me. There are times when I’m in a hot ass kitchen, bangin out food, bustin my balls and it sucks. Trust, this is not a glamorous profession by any means and when it’s a million degrees, you’ve got 10 tickets in your window, and some random person comes up to bother you in the middle of all that, you want nothing more than to punch them in the face and walk away. However, I do have to give credit where credit is due.

I remember this one time, I was in the kitchen doing some prep work when a server came in and told our breakfast cooks that a guest had sent their compliments on a delicious meal. My first response was, “Wow, that’s really cool” then one of the line chefs turns to me and says, “When we're busy, we don't have time to chat with servers. We get compliments all the time, it’s nothing special...”

Here’s my opinion, if anyone takes time out of their day to acknowledge you, it’s special. By no means should any kind gesture, a gracious word, or even just a simple greeting go ignored. It’s like walking down the street, I smile and usually say hello to every single person that I pass. I think it’s rude to act like no one is there. God put all of us on this planet for a reason. No, I may have no importance on your life whatsoever and chances are, you may not insanely effect mine either but that doesn’t mean we should succumb to that level of negativity towards each other.

As Miss America as it sounds, the world would be such a kinder, simpler, and overall better place if we thanked others for their graciousness, if we took time out to lock eyes with another passer-byer, if we all were the guest that compliments the Chef whos busting their ass and most importantly, if we were all that Chef that truly appreciated being praised.

No one has to take time out for you, appreciate it when they do.

Stay Hungry, you beautiful people!

No comments:

Post a Comment