Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hip Hop Appreciation Week Day 4


So I found out about this show about 3 days ago. A couple of the guys from the Luminaries come into my restaurant often, some of them every single day. They mentioned the show and of course, I was on board.

First off, KRS-One doing a show about 7 blocks from my job, derrr, I'm in! Second, I absolutely adore Simple Citizens. They remind me of everything that I love about Hip Hop and more. Not only are their rhymes on point but give me anything with a live band/horns/woodwinds, I'm yours forever.

Before tonight, I had never seen Luminaries perform live. I always say I'll go and end up working late or whatnot but I was excited to finally attend a show of theirs. A conscious Hip Hop Group with I think more white people in it than blacks; an observation pointed out to me by a source that shall remain nameless.


So we'll start at the top:

My girl, Philene ended up working late so we only got to catch the last 2 songs done by Simple Citizens. Of course they did not disappoint. Then the Luminaries came on and blew my fuckin face off. Raw talent, (Raw. Get it? Cause I'm a Raw Chef... No?? Never mind...) Musicality beyond measure and a message that you can not ignore. I had no idea how great these guys are and how drawn everyone was to them. I figured most people at the show were there to see KRS-One but to see everyone so into Luminaries and rocking out the way they were, I was astonished. They did an amazing job.

And then there's KRS-One. Fuck. The man. Theres something that I've been dreaming for years and tonight, my dream came true. I've always told people, if there was anyone on this planet that I could just sit and listen to while they talked for hours, it would be KRS-One. The man did not let me down. I think about 98% of his set was freestyled. And anytime the DJ would put on a beat he wasn't feelin, KRS would stop and switch directions taking you on a whole new ride. Then we get to the end of his set and dude just starts going on and on and on about life, love, peace, music, equality... Seriously my dream. I damn near cried. Everything I've ever wanted to hear him say, he preached it to us tonight. *Bonus round* He was completely gracious with the photo/autographs and even made us retake a picture with him cause the first was too blurry. LOVES!

Literally the best $20 I've ever spent. So grateful for tonight. Ahhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment