Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Music Week: Day 2/Album of the Week

Due to the fact that I believe Diddy and I share the same soul, and the fact that I wake up to about 40 unread text messages -like 35 of them coming from him via Twitter- I wanted to use him as inspiration for this week. This has been a really good week for me. Don't know why, just is. Unfortunately, I don't really think Diddy has an album that I believe coincides with this week (or any week for that matter. his shit is just not that good) so....


Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Released September 13, 1994

1. Intro
2. Things Done Changed
3. Gimmie The Loot
4. Machine Gun Funk
5. Warning
6. Ready To Die
7. One More Chance
8. Fuck Me
9. The What
10. Juicy
11. Everyday Struggles
12. Me & My Bitch
13. Big Poppa
14. Respect
15. Friend Of Mine
16. Unbelievable
17. Suicidal Thoughts


I mention this album a lot in my everyday life. This was one of the first albums that I really remember connecting with. Not on a content level cause most of the things Biggie spoke about, I was still unaware of. I didn't know crime, poverty, complex music, instant success. A lot of what drew me to this album was that BIG had the ability to rhyme in a way that brought you into his world firsthand along with serious '94 quality beats. On top of that, he's got some really good sampling going on here, lots of old school Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Kool and the Gang, Jackson 5... Every song is different, not very much stays the same and yet, he was always him; honest and true with a sense of like ability that made you want to recommend anything he was dishing out.

I miss the feeling of this, like I mentioned before and that is why I highly advise: if you don't have this album, you deserve a slap in the face and a ride to the nearest record store (not Target, Walmart, nor Best Buy, pleeeease).

Salutations.

No comments:

Post a Comment