Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Album(s) of the Week

Double Whammy today...

Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
Released 1974 [Vinyl]

1. New Coat Of Paint
2. San Diego Serenade
3. Semi Suite
4. Shiver Me Timbers
5. Diamonds On My Windshield
6. The Heart Of Saturday Night
7. Fumblin' With The Blues
8. Please Call Me, Baby
9. Depot, Depot
10. Drunk On The Moon
11. The Ghosts Of Saturday Night [After Hours at Napoleone's Pizza House]


Love Tom Waits. Fairly new in my love for him. Always heard of him, never really got into him til about 2004 when a good friend, Mr. BMore, introduced me to 2 of his songs of which, I still listen to every single day (wake up to Alice every morning, Blue Valentine at night).

Legendary. Good shit. I can't even put into words why he is as good as he is. Blame God for being as great as he is and producing this man. If you can get your hands on ANYTHING by Mr. Tom Waits, take it and run fast with it. You will not be disappointed.


(here you get to see how crazy my mind works)
'Diamonds on My Windshield' lead me to thinking of "Diamonds on my neck, diamonds on my grill..." from 'Bossy' which then lead me to this:


Kelis - Wanderland
Released only in the UK
November 5, 2001

1. Intro
2. Young, Fresh N' New
3. Flash Back
4. Popular Thug
5. Daddy
6. Scared Money
7. Shooting Stars
8. Digital World
9. Perfect Day
10. Easy Come, Easy Go
11. Junkie
12. Get Even
13. Mr. U.F.O. Man
14. Little Suzie

This album came out when I was in my "I'm over fake artists" phase. I love Kelis. I love almost everything she does. And yes, this album is beyond good however, I was starting to hate on her for being "fake" as I called it. I don't like when good artists do things just to make a quick buck. Like when Beyonce took Sasha off her "Beautiful Liar" song and put Shakira on it (I am Shakira's number one fan and always will be but, come on, now). Or when Jay-Z did that album with Linkin Park. They made almost all new music, he took the Black Album and spit his old rhymes on it. Or here, for instance, Kelis originally had The Clipse on Popular Thug. Then she married Nas, took Clipse off the track, and put Nas on it. Song was much better without him but was released in the US to help blow up the Kelis and Nas affair. I could go on for days about this but, I won't.

So yeah, I was a hater. Still am somewhat but, I will always stay true to Kelis cause she actually has talent and I love that she's putting herself out there for all of us to admire. If you can find this album anywhere, I suggest you get it.



Love and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment